vrijdag 9 augustus 2019

Festival of Quilts 2019 (I)


When I wrote in my last blogpost that I would not desert this blog I meant it. Writing that I knew that there would soon be an opportunity for an extensive blogpost, because the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham was just around the corner.




So on Thursday morning last week, having spent the night in Leiden (closer to the airport than where I live), the alarm clock went off at 4 am, I walked through a quiet and dark town to the train station to find myself at Schiphol (Amsterdam) Airport and through customs (having only hand luggage helps!) with a Red Eye coffee and ‘koffiebroodje’ already by 6 am.


Plenty of time to relax for my 8.15 flight and because of the hour time difference, I arrived around the same time in Birmingham, walked straight to the Convention Center, left my luggage in storage for the day and even had time for a coffee again before the show opened at 10 am!

Once in, there was so much to see!

Here are some of the quilts that caught my eye, in random order, but with a lot of these, modern or more traditional, it was (also) very much the quilting and the texture that I liked:
















































There were exhibitions and competitions for young quilters too, as a dog lover I fell for this one, as a quilter I think this girl did a great job using various techniques:-










There were quilts by Dutch quilters too, like Hilde’s spectacular quilt, for more on this quilt please (click) to a previous blogpost:-



and a smaller, very cute one by Dorry from Quilt It and Dotty (click)








Soooo, after a very busy first day and miles and miles of walking (25 mins to the trainstation very early in the morning, throught two airports and at a quilt show, all in one day, I do not have a Fitbit but if I did, it would have been proud of me 😊  ) I treated myself to a pint of ice cold beer and a great plate of fish and chips, yummmmm!


So that was day 1, blogpost 1 of this show, hope you enjoyed these pictures. More in a next blogpost….. or maybe two…., hope you’ll join me again.

Phyllis

















7 opmerkingen:

  1. By being the first to comment, I am just trying to make sure Blogger sends any comments you may wish to leave to my email, so I can reply.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. What an exciting day. I think this show gets better each year. Thanks for sharing your favs. It would be exciting to be there in person .

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Fijn dat je weer een blogpost maakt en wat voor een. Prachtig werk weer te zien en zo leuk die speciale aandacht voor jongeren. Zeer terecht. Dank en groetjes

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Ik voel me weer vereerd dat je mijn quilt hier laat zien! Het was inderdaad een groot feest deze Festival of Quilts! Leuk dat je ook close-ups laat zien van de quilts! XH

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Geweldige eerste dag en inderdaad vast heel wat km gemaakt. Die Sinterklaas quilt vind Ik echt geweldig!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Zeker heb ik weer genoten van je mooie verslag over deze tentoonstelling. Tussen koffiekoek en fish and chips lagen heel wat kilometers en heel veel mooie quilts -:))
    Ben benieuwd naar de volgende dag.
    Groetjes, Liliane

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. De betere uitjes om jezelf op te trakteren! Op de boot geniet ik mee...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...