vrijdag 30 oktober 2015

Houston..... I've got a problem....


I miss you!! Soooo much!!

There are years when during this week…. You could find me in Houston. Alas, not this year.

Houston in the fall is just wonderful. Full of these colors….
 

 
Of course I am more than very, very lucky when I get to go to Houston in this week of the year. I have visited Houston in the spring, in the summer and in this week of the year, and really, this week is the best!

The weather is always superb (much better than those steamy hot summers), those bright blue skies, those wonderful temperatures. The area I stay in is beautiful and totally ready for Halloween, people put so much effort in decorating their houses. Not to mention the fun of Halloween night itself, the place goes crazy.

So, I miss my early morning walks through the beautiful The Heights area



 

Where the houses are decorated for Halloween (not to mention Halloween itself, it is such fun, even the dogs are in fancy dress)


 



I miss the morning cue at the George Brown Convention Centre before the Quilt Festival opens, with the friendly sheriffs keeping an eye out (sweet, but not necessary, the quilters here are a friendly, patient bunch)



 


The excitement of all this, it is huge!
 



Meeting the quilting celebrities,
Yoko Saito
Linda Hrcka (click)

And the sellers


Like Ronnie from Cindy’s Antique Quilts (click), such a nice man.

 
And the fun of meeting friends from back home over here
 
like Yvonne (click) , Hubertine (click) and her sister Annette (click) at the terrace of the Convention Centre, where you can enjoy this view
 
 
But I also like to take some time out in the afternoon on my own for some R&R and to take it all in… I buy a latte at the hotel where the barrista’s are creative too…. with my name..
 
 
and sit in the park Discovery Green across the street for half an hour or so..



 



And after about three days at the Festival there is the weekend in Houston, to enjoy a bit of shopping

 
 


the yummy food and the delicious margarita’s

 
College Football night in a bar.. our waiter’s team was losing, poor guy..

Surprise, surprise, running into more friends from back home at my Houston 'local'!

 
Do your recognize them? Ingrid (click), Laura (click) and Dorry (click), who by the way is about the open up her new shop in a few weeks (click)!
And spending time with my friends who live there, which means so much to me. Although I love Houston, it is such a shame they live so far away and we miss them, which is why we flew to London to meet them a few weeks ago (click) .
Sooo, about the quilt at the beginning of this post? I have not blogged about it before and thinking about Houston and the Quilt Festival this week, this is the best time to show it.
When I go to Quilt Festival I stay with our friend Ranelle in her lovely house in the equally lovely neighborhood The Heights. She is not a quilter, so a few years ago I made her this quilt. The fabrics reminded me of those fall colors I see during my walks in her neighbourhood and the Halloween decorations on the houses.. The pattern is by Brannock and Patek, the fabrics were in a kit from The Stitch Cottage, my lqs at the time (unfortunately no longer in business).
 
It was my first machine-pieced and machine-quilted quilt.
 
The quilt at its new home…


Lucky thing it gets to live there!

Yes, I am missing this week in Houston, but I enjoy all the wonderful memories of my previous visits, they always put a smile on my face. If you are there now, have a super-duper time and enjoy everything there is to enjoy! If you have not been yet, do try and go one day, it is the biggest quilty party on earth!

Phyllis
 















 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 










 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 


 
 
 
 

 

 

 






 

 

10 opmerkingen:

  1. Ik ben zelf nog nooit naar Houston geweest, maar geniet deze week wel van de vele foto's en verslagen die ik voorbij zie komen op Facebook en Instagram. Dank voor deze herinneringen van jou, erg leuk om te zien.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Such a beautiful fall quilt and a wonderful gift. I'd like to go to quilt festival in Houston... one day... :0) The quilts behind you and Ronnie tempt me the most of all.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Warm greetings from Linda Hrcka for you!! GBCenter is renovating, so a mess in and aroubnd the building. But quilters are very understanding and the sheriffs are doing their jobs very well.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I have also enjoyed Houston twice before, but not this year. Alas. But lots of great memories and new adventures to look forward to. Your quilt is lovely! I'm sure it was so appreciated.
    Marne

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. and that is exactly how i feel this week,niks aan toe te voegen!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Je bent een bofbips met al deze herinneringen ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Wij.....THE LUCKY ONES die al een of meerdere malen Quilt Festival hebben mogen meemaken weten inderdaad wat we missen! Bij het terugkijken van de foto's bedenk ik me altijd.....had ik niet nog meer moeten genieten van mijn tijd daar! Wat was het heerlijk!
    Gelukkig hebben we die mooie herinneringen om nog eens op te halen en na te genieten!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I love the quilt! I would love to be in Houston too. We lived in Texas (near Dallas) for 30 years and I only went to the Houston show one time! I'm sure glad I at least went once because then we moved and now I don't think I'll ever go again.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Nadat ik je mooie foto's heb bewonderd, kan ik me heel goed voorstellem, dat je Houston nu mist! Wat moet dat een geweldige ervaring zijn. Ik ga sparen😉. En wat een geweldig mooie quilt is dat, helemaal in die herfstige kleuren, wat absoluut mijn favorieten zijn.
    Groetjes van Ageeth

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. waaaaaaah, ikke, enkele jaartjes terug. Toch maar weinig verandert he....

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...