maandag 11 juni 2018

May 2018, France, Judy Newman


The second part of May brought yet another trip to France. Again to help out my friend Emma (click) who was hosting Judy Newman for a two-day workshop at her quilt shop Le Patchwork d'Emma (click) in Gauchy/St. Quentin.

I had met Judy briefly during the Nantes show and Emma and I met her again – a bit longer this time – at the Houston show last year and was really looking forward to seeing her and her quilts again.

Because both Judy and I arrived a few days before the workshop we had lots of time to chat, to sew and get to know each other, much to our surprise Judy and I found out we had quite a lot in common.
It was a delight to get to know Judy and her quilts. Judy, Emma and I spent hours talking and I can honestly say I fell in love with her quilts and her approach to making quilts.

During the days of the workshop the atmosphere in Emma’s light and airy shop/atelier was buzzing with ladies from Germany and the UK joining in as well, I think the pictures will speak for themselves:










On the Sunday morning a brocante was being held in the village and as neither Judy nor I had every visited one we just had to go. As it was a workshop day it meant getting up really early but it was worth it!

Not in the least to see that sunrise from ‘my’ bedroom window at Emma’s. That view (and the quiet) never ceases to amaze me, I always spend some time looking out the window every morning I wake up there and every evening before I go to bed.


 So we walked a few streets to the brocante and got there at 6.30 when a lot of people were still setting up.


We found some treasures for a few Euro’s. Just to give you an idea, Judy fell in love with a yellow milk jug, but they made her buy the whole set for…. E 3.- ! It turned out to be a Villeroy & Boch coffee set, Judy would have loved to have taken the whole set back home to Australia with her, but that was a bit unpractical so she decided to keep the milk jug and leave the rest of the set at Emma’s boutique, where it fitted so well with the retro kitchen.







Later that day in the kitchen of Le Patchwork d’Emma:

I guess the yellow brocante milk jug was maybe a birthday present to herself because later that day we celebrated her recent birthday with a cake from the local boulangerie and – of course – a glass of that nice sparkly stuff

Judy’s show & tell that day was held in the garden of Emma’s shop





And then it was back to work, Judy showing us some (for me) new techniques.

Well, this is why: during the workshop – with much help from Judy as I am not very handy in this respect – I made a Judy’s Dilly Bag!


After these wonderful days at Emma’s Judy and I traveled back to The Netherlands together where she went on to teach at Petra Prins’ (click to Juud’s blog to read al about it).

To my surprise Judy presented me with this beautiful pouch as a thank you for organising her travel (no problem) and travelling with her (it was a joy and I was headed in that direction anyway 😊  ) there really was no need, I was quite taken aback by this beautiful present. I love it and I will cherish it.


A tangible reminder of very special days,
Phyllis


24 opmerkingen:

  1. Heerlijke dagen waren dat weer Phyllis. Ik heb genoten van je verslag en de mooie quilts die werden geshowd!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Wat zal dat Genieten zijn geweest ! En ik ga gauw ook Judy googelen, weet eigenlijk te weinig over haar quilts. Bedankt voor je leuke verslag !

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Must have been a great time! What is Judy’s approach to quilting ? Thanks for sharing these pictures of joy and happiness... the quilting world is amazing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. So the next time we sit and sew, we will both be working on a judy project, with our gorgeous little dilly bags made by the lady herself!,,,

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Wat een heerlijk blogje, zwaai zwaai

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Het waren ook weer heerlijke dagen, zwaai, zwaai terug :-)

      Verwijderen
  6. What a lovely post! Beauty, friendship and quilting :0)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. As Blogger does not give me the comments in my email anymore I am reacting this way.
      Thank you for your comment, they were wonderful days and Judy's quilts really represent the atmosphere of those days very well.

      Verwijderen
  7. Een héél mooi verslag van hele bijzondere dagen. Wat een kleurige en vrolijke quilts maakt Judy. De quilt met de zachtroze achtergrondstof vind ik heel erg leuk!
    Wat waren jullie al vroeg op pad die morgen. Aan dat gele servies had ik ook niet kunnen weerstaan. Wat een fantastische kleur!!
    Dat moet smullen geweest zijn van die heerlijke verjaardagstaart. Ziet er geweldig uit!
    En wat een leuke tasjes heb je als herinnering aan deze dagen gemaakt/gekregen. Om nooit te vergeten!
    Groetjes, Liliane

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Omdat Blogger de comments niet meer in mijn mail zet reageer ik even op deze manier. Het waren zeker bijzondere dagen, ik zal er altijd met warme gevoelens op terugkijken, op deze hele periode trouwens, heel bijzonder. Judy's quilts zijn zeker representatief voor afgelopen lente met alle wonderbaarlijke quilt gebeurtenissen en lieve, leuke quilters. Daar moeten we wat mee doen !

      Verwijderen
  8. Thank you for taking care of all of us during these days at Emma's .you were wonderful and helpful .I am in love with Judy's quilts .

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. My name is Gaelle from Brest, Brittany

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. So wonderful to hear from you! It was lovely to meet you and spend time with you and it was a pleasure to help at the workshop. I fell in love with Judy's quilts as well and they so represent the days we spent at Emma's don't they. Definitely inspiring. I do hope we can meet up at Emma's again sometime and share the projects we have done since the workshop. Thank you for you kind comment, until we meet again :-)

      Verwijderen
  10. Dat waren echt heerlijke dagen in Frankrijk, met Judy en bij Emma! Ik weet heel weinig over de quilts van Judy, maar zie bij jou al heel wat fraais voorbij komen, in "frisse pastellen", en dat vind ik interessant en mooi. En dat gele serviesje... super!
    Groetjes van Ageeth.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. ik had de quilts al in Nantes gezien, maar eerlijk gezegd nu ik ze door m'n handen kon laten gaan en tijd met Judy zelf heb kunnen doorbrengen ben ik er helemaal verliefd op geworden. Dat servies (- melkkan) heeft een vast plek in de keuken van Emma's shop, voor altijd een herinnering aan de dagen met Judy :-)

      Verwijderen
  11. Wat een leuk verslag van een paar bijzondere dagen. Het was fantastisch Judy te ontmoeten in Zutphen, maar dat Franse land voegt wel iets extra’s toe!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Het Franse platteland blijft bijzonder, had nooit kunnen bedenken dat ik er zoveel tijd zou doorbrengen en zulke mooie herinneringen zou opbouwen. En Judy is een schat vind je niet?

      Verwijderen
  12. Wat een heerlijke blog en wat maak jij toch veel mee. Zo leuk dat wij mee mogen genieten. Lieve groet van Wilma

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Dank je wel voor je lieve reactie, het zijn bijzondere maanden op het moment, had eerder nooit kunnen bedenken dat ik dit allemaal mee zou maken. Voor altijd mooie herinneringen en ook wat tastbare souvenirs. Hopelijk tot ziens weer een keer :-)

      Verwijderen
  13. Oh how lovely. I enjoy following your gorgeous photos and stories so much. It almost makes me feel as if I've gone along with you. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your quilting adventures and friends.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. As Blogger does not give me the comments to my posts in my email anymore I will react via my blog. Thank you for your kind comment, I realize this is a special period in my (quilting) life, I am so fortunate to be able to have these experiences and am grateful to my friend Emma and her family for their hospitality and friendship. Looking forward to a less hectic summer and more sewing time and then in the fall who knows...

      Verwijderen
  14. Deze reactie is verwijderd door een blogbeheerder.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...