vrijdag 10 maart 2017

The forever student

In our country there is the term ‘forever student’(eeuwige student), by this we used to mean young people who took forever to finish a university degree. They were probably having too much of a good time to actually study a lot … 😉

Although not in the way this expression was originally meant, I am something of a ‘forever student’,  always curious to learn new things or find out more about things that interest me.


Over the years I followed a training to be a beautician (next to my day job at the time) , a gold smith course (but after hurting myself in a nasty way a few times I concluded that it was safer for me to work with fabrics and pins rather than with steel, tools and machines…), all kinds of cookery courses, an Italian language course and just out of interest and because I did not have the opportunity at the time, about ten years ago I went to (Leiden) Law School for a few years.

Too many interests, so many things to learn…

So patchwork and quilting…

Except for a period of 12 years where I did not have time for it due to family and work commitments this passion has been with me since the late 80’s of the previous century (…) and I of course I followed a lot of courses and workshops since. As a ‘forever student ‘I just like the process of learning new things, of satisfying my curiosity.

The past few months I have been following a course that really triggered the forever student in me…. I love it! For a long time I have admired Marcha’s (click) work, it is so neat, so clean, so precise. Once a year at her shop the Quiltster (click) she offers a course (click)  on techniques based on the Dear Jane quilt. And even though I have been a quilter for quite some time now I am learning so many new things about various techniques and find my work is improving. We only have two more dates left on our course, sad to see the end of this.



I don’t want to reveal anything about the actual work, but let me show you a few pictures of those course days(the picture above shows that we are well cared for by Marcha’s mum with coffee, tea and yummy cakes):-

Marcha’s shop at the new location is great, lots of light, filled with quilts, projects, beautiful fabrics, delicious tea and Bunzlau pottery






The course takes place on the open second floor: my busy fellow students and our teacher Marcha… see you again in a few weeks, ladies  :-) 

So far these are the blocks I finished:




And the blocking board that Judith (click) gave me last December comes in handy now, so thank you again, Juud. 


So will I make a Dear Jane quilt… never say never!

And speaking of students, Anja, one of the participants of the Happy Scrappy Workshop (click) that I taught with Hubertine (click) as the Feathergirls two weeks ago, is really on a roll, she made so many blocks already, have a look at her blog (click), really nice to see this as a result!


Phyllis

13 opmerkingen:

  1. Net als jij ben ook ik een "eeuwige student", denk ik, omdat ik het zeker herken, al die cursussen en workshops; helemaal niet echt nodig, en ook niet alleen voor het quilten, maar puur voor het leren op zich (ik heb heel veel diploma's en getuigschriften in de kast, waar ik dus niets mee doe). Dat jij deze cursus bij Marcha volgt, in dat heerlijke winkeltje, dat kan ik dus als geen ander begrijpen! Heerlijk, om je zo weer te kunnen verdiepen in andere werkwijzen van deze geweldige, en vooral gevarieerde hobby! Je eerste blokjes smaken wel maar een hele DJ...
    Groetjes van Ageeth.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Wat een mooie blokken!!
    ik moet ook hoog nodig verder aan mijn dear jane,..

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Leuk dat je aan DJ begonnen bent, het samen maken bij de Quilster stimuleert. Misschien toch maar weer verder gaan met de mijne want het blijft een prachtige quilt.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Ja....helemaal mee eens, nooit te oud om te leren! En de technieken van de Dear Jane leren is nog eens heel erg leuk ook. Het begin mag er zijn. Prachtige blokken heb je gemaakt, leuk om er in groepsverband aan te werken en de hobbels te nemen.
    Fijn weekend!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. De DJ is best wel een pittige quilt. Wat is het dan leuk om je in groep deze quilt eigen te maken. Je steekt er zoveel van op. De blokjes die je al gemaakt hebt zien er héél mooi uit. Je hebt een prima start genomen!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Beter een eeuwige dan een gesjeesde vind ik persoonlijk! En die Jane , die komt er wel.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Being a forever student can have a lot of benefits. I'm glad your having a great experience with your class learning all kinds of new techniques and skills.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. There is so much to learn about quilting! I'm a bit envious of your class. We don't have anything like that around here.:)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Nooit te oud om iets te leren Phyllis! Jouw DJ blokjes zien er keurig uit. Hoeveel heb je er nu af? Ik heb er iets van 45 af. Af en toe maak ik er een paar bij. Een 10-jaren projekt. Maar wel heel leuk om te doen. Maar er is zoveel leuks. Altijd maar weer keuzes maken. Fijn weekend!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Wat een heerlijk verslag, en weet je, ik leef bij de uitspraak: je bent nooit te oud om te leren... ook gewoon een positieve benadering... 😉 Want ook ik leer nog telkens door nieuwe inzichten... fijn toch! En wat is er nu leuker om op deze manier met elkaar, met he hobby bezig te zijn! Tor snel!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Being willing to discover, to learn new things is great! Especially if you are in good company. And learning is good for the brain!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Het is altijd goed om je te blijven ontwikkelen, op wat voor gebied dan ook. En wat ik zo van/over jou lees, doe je allerlei leuke en verschillende dingen. Geniet er van, en je hebt super resultaten. Veel plezier met de Dear Jane!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. De Dear Jane cursus ziet er heel leuk uit. Zal ik... of zal ik niet. Zij blijft mooi deze quilt. Jouw blokken zijn mooi Phyllis.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...