woensdag 15 april 2015

Finished Feathergirl tops! And a few words on seams....


Recently the Feathergirls got together because….



we finished our second Feathergirls (Feathergirls 2.0 we called them) quilt tops!

And like with our first Feathergirls quilts (click and click) it was so much fun to see the finished tops together! And again like last time it was the first time we saw eachother’s finished tops, a special moment!

My top was made of Ohio Star blocks, placed on point with alternating single fabric blocks. I decided the whole thing needed a bit more color with all that brown and had a beautiful red in my stash, but unfortunately not enough…. I found it online (isn’t the www just wonderful?) at a shop I had never bought from before, they did a great job, the needed fabric was here in no time. In the meantime I found this wonderful blue fabric with just that bit of red in it, so the whole top came together.

 
 

Hubertine (click) made her quilt from lots of churndash blocks, one of my favorite block patterns, with lots of different blue fabrics, so fabulous! You can see it here (click). As well as information on how she sandwiched her quilt.

 
When I posted a picture of the back of my quilttop in an earlier post (click) I received questions about my seams….. aren’t they supposed to be ironed to one (dark) side?
To be honest I left that idea completely when machine patching small seams. The whole idea of ironing your seams to one side for strength of the seam  I think comes from the world of hand stitching. And there it makes perfect sense and I strictly adhere to this rule.

However machine patching is a completely different technique. Your stitch is made of 2 interlocking threads with very even stitches, therefore your seam is much stronger. Also the quilting you add later on will make the seam more durable because it will reduce pressure on the seam during use or washing.

Also I remember years ago, when I still made some of my own clothes, some of which were pencil skirts and with an office job, sitting down practically the whole day, there was pressure on the seams of my clothes and we still pressed them open and they never came undone (luckily ;-) !

When you are able to press (yes, I press my seams) open they lie much flatter and your points are much sharper.

 
 


However, on the long seams - as in this top with the blue and red borders - I do still press my seams to one side, toward the outer edges of the quilt top. There is no need there to press them open.




So there you have it. This is the way I do my seams when I machine patch, but there is not one perfect way of doing things. Use the technique that you are most comfortable with, that one will be best for you.

Enjoy the spring sunshine this week!

 

Phyllis

 

15 opmerkingen:

  1. Een patroon in herhaling maar alles bij elkaar zo mooi!
    En allebei heel verschillend van sfeer maar ook allebei heel mooi! Ga zo door meisjes.
    Geniet van het zonnetje vandaag. Ik moet helaas werken :(
    Fijne dag!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Prachtige tops! Die oude patronen zijn en blijven toch het mooist vind ik. Wat betreft je naden, dat ga ik zeker ook proberen, denk inderdaad dat je top er mooier en platter van wordt, goede tip!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Mooi hoor deze tops.
    Heerlijk weer eentje klaar.
    Leuk om ook zo de verschillen te zien.
    Veel plezier met het door quilten.

    Groetjes,
    Marga♥

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. It is beautiful, the red border was a great find, lucky you for finding more fabric! I find pressing those tiny seams open not the quickest job to be done, but it is worth it because it is so much flatter!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. The Feathergirl quilts are lovely! What fun projects. You make a good point, there no one single right way to do things. Thanks for sharing your process.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Wat is ie mooi!! En ook zulke mooie kleurcombi's! Daar ben jij echt goed in!!!
    Het open strijken vd naden ga ik ook eens proberen. Dat had ik bij deze churndash blokken ook moeten doen......het zijn namelijk héééél véééél naadjes....Volgens mij hebben we al plannetjes zat voor een FG III :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Mooie quilt. Deze klassieke patronen vervelen nooit.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I love seeing your Feathergirls quilts! Really special for you.:) Interesting about the open seams. That's the way I learned to sew clothes when I was young and then once I was quilting, I was told, no, no--always iron the seams to the side.:) It's just proves that we should do things the way that makes the most sense to us!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Prachtig ziet dat eruit! Ik strijk mijn naden eigenlijk helemaal niet meer. Soms druk/wrijf ik ze naar een kant. Maar inderdaad, bij veel stof en dikke naden kan open strijken een oplossing zijn.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Wat een prachtige quilts zijn het geworden, van jullie beiden. Mooi werk!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Wat een mooie quilt is het geworden en wat leuk om die van jullie beide naast elkaar te zien. Veel quiltplezier.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Door mijn (internetloze; echt best wel fijn!) vakantie een beetje late reactie, maar wil je toch laten weten, dat ik beide quilts prachtig vind geworden! Dat smaakt zeker naar nog een Feathergirls-project!!! En je hebt helemaal gelijk, met dat strijken van de naden. Ik doe het precies als jij en strijk ze soms open, soms naar een kant, net zoals dat het beste resultaat geeft.
    Groetjes van Ageeth

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. Leuk dat jullie dit zo samen doen. De quilts zijn beide prachtig!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Erg mooi allebei!! Mijn favoriete patroontje. Het blijft een hele leuke. Over de zoompjes ben ik het helemaal met je eens. Ik doe ook wat het beste uitkomt en open strijken als je precies wilt zien of je puntjes 'heel' blijven.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...